Wednesday, February 27, 2008

AWP: The memories, the memories

Came across this article from the Chronicle of Higher Education today, in which a reporter describes AWP. Yep, we were there, and it was a huge book party!

The writer makes the interesting point that back in the day, people used to come to New York to be writers. Nowadays, you can be a writer just about anywhere, and writers are more likely to come to New York to meet a publisher or an agent, or maybe just to visit the Met Museum.

As much fun as I had visiting New York, I'm quite happy to be a writer in Indiana these days. The rent is cheaper, and we get to eat bagels and lox sometimes, too, at a wonderful restaurant run by a chef who loves poetry. What could be better?

--Hannah

1 comment:

John Guzlowski said...

I'm with you.

When I was a young writer, I went to NY, and sat around trying to write but getting distracted. Constantly. Why write when the world is buzzing around your head like tinkerbell?

It wasn't until I discovered small town life in Lafayette (IN), Normal (IN), Charleston (IL), Bowling Green (KY), and Valdosta (GA), that I realized that extreme boredom is the only muse!