Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's November, and NaNoWriMo and NaBloPoMo are here!

If you’re reading this blog, you’ve probably heard of National Novel-Writing Month. Several years ago, I wrote my first novel. And, to date, my only. All thanks to NaNoWriMo, a program that proudly values quantity over quality, a program that’s nearly 10 years old.

But there’s no reason that quantity can’t be edited and made publishable by someone, somewhere.

My novel was a piece of genre fiction that didn’t start out that way; I started off trying to write a serious story but got bored with it really early. Instead of starting over, I pushed through, and my central characters got bitten by zombies.

These weren’t your regular old zombies. These were a new type of zombie: although a bit stiff in the joints, perhaps, they were planners, thinkers, and social. My zombies would have the neighbors over. And then much on their brains. They totally owned their undeadness and became assassins.

My masterpiece. My zombie-assassin novel. I deleted nearly all of the manuscript soon after submitting to the NaNoWriMo folks for word-count verification. The novel was terrible. Really, really terrible. But fun to write.

And it’s not too late to get started! You’re only a week behind, if you feel so inclined.

Along those lines, though, and the impetus for this post, is the several years young NaBloPoMo. I learned about it only yesterday, and when I saw this badge, I just had to post it. My own intention is not to blog every day (I wish!), but rather to share the project with y’all. And hey, if you’re a two birds, one stone kind of person, you could always post your NaNoWriMo manuscript in progress…

—Jenny

No comments: