Saturday, April 30, 2011

Never Can Say Goodbye

IR readers,

I hate leaving parties early, because I always feel like I’m going to miss something. And I hate being the last one to leave, because that just means the fun is over. So it’s safe to say that I have a problem with goodbyes. Having to write this last blog post makes me realize how much I’ve enjoyed my time here at IR. It’s been a pleasure reading the works of the writers that have made it into the summer and winter issues during my tenure. I’ve gotten the chance to work on an extraordinary journal with people who aren’t just co-workers but really some of my best friends. I can’t think of a better editor than Alessandra Simmons, who has managed to get us through so many problems from an ice storm to the first (and hopefully annual) Blue Light Reading Series, all while staying calm and patient. For a person that’s prone to worry, Alessandra has definitely kept me level-headed. Among the things I’ll miss the most will be Saturday reading sessions in the office with Keith. While we might have been there for hours, it never felt like work. And to Deborah Kim who will be taking over as the new editor, I don’t think I could have made it through all the fiction submissions this year without you. Thanks for the amazing eye.

With Deborah Kim, returning non-fiction editor Sarah Suksiri, and the two new genre editors Rachel Lyon and Catie Lycurgus, Indiana Review has a bright future.

This has been an incredible experience. To the readers, thank you for all the ways you contribute to helping IR stay great by continuing to read and submit.

-Kurian

No comments: